The first thing you’re going to ask after your car accident is, who is going to be responsible for your medical bills? Whoever caused your accident should have to pay to get your car fixed. If you didn’t cause the crash, it’s not fair that you should have to pay out of pocket for these things. The problem is, if you don’t do the right things immediately after your accident, there’s not much an Indianapolis car accident lawyer can do to help. In order to get you the compensation you deserve, your lawyer needs proof. The best evidence to prove your Indianapolis car accident case is the police report.
You’re going to need this report if you expect to get paid. That’s why you need to make sure you do the following right after your crash:
- Call 911 – You need to call the police no matter what. Even if you think the accident is minor. Not only are you legally required to call the cops, but it’s in your best interest to do so. The police will complete a thorough investigation of the accident scene. They’ll also prepare a police report that your Indianapolis accident attorney can use to show the other driver was at fault.
- Go to the hospital – Even if you don’t think your injuries are that severe, you need to get medical treatment immediately. First, you need to make sure that you are, indeed, okay. You also need to have some sort of documentation of your injuries.
- Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Indianapolis – Your lawyer will be able to deal with the insurance company on your behalf. They can also file a lawsuit if need be.
What Will the Police Do at the Scene?
When you call 911, they’re going to send one or two officers to the accident scene. They’re also going to arrange for an ambulance to come to take you to the hospital. When the cops arrive, they’ll start their investigation.
Some of the things the police will do when they arrive at the scene includes:
- They’ll check to make sure everyone is okay. If anyone needs medical treatment, they’ll make sure an ambulance transports them to the emergency room.
- They’ll look to see if either of the drivers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Once the moment passes, it will be impossible to ascertain this. For example, if you don’t report the crash until the next day, there’s no way for the police or your lawyer to prove the other driver was high or drunk.
- They will arrange to have any cars towed if they’re not in a condition to be driven. They will also make sure all the debris from the accident is cleaned up.
- The officers will prepare a police report. This report will contain information vital to your case. Your Indianapolis car accident lawyer is going to need this information to file your claim.
You don’t want to make your lawyer’s job any harder than it already is. There is information in the police report that your attorney won’t be able to get down the road. Even if they can get it, it may be expensive and time consuming to do that.
Your Car Accident Lawyer in Indiana Will Need the Information Contained in the Police Report
The police report is going to contain very valuable information. This is information that your lawyer may not be able to get later on. This is also the evidence you’re going to need to prove your accident claim.
Some of the information contained in the police report include:
- Contact information for the other driver
- Name and address of any witnesses
- Pictures of the accident scene including the vehicles
- Information regarding whether either of the drivers were under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- A description of the road conditions
- The drivers’ license and insurance information
- Any citations issued for traffic violations
While your lawyer may be able to get their hands on some of this information later on, it will be difficult. There’s no reason to waste time getting this stuff if you already have a police report.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Indianapolis
If you get into a car crash in Indianapolis, you need to do a few things to preserve your claim. However, even if you do these things, you’ll need someone to help you prove that your claim has value. This is where an experienced car accident lawyer in Indianapolis comes into play. You can call today and set up a free consult with one of our expert staff.