Pedestrian accidents are not happening only on the streets and crosswalks. More often than not, pedestrian accidents happen in parking lots as well.
Drivers tend to be less careful and more relaxed when they drive in a parking lot, not paying too much attention to the people walking around. The same goes for pedestrians. Once they got out of their car, they are not as careful as they are on the streets.
Parking lots seem pretty safe compared to the streets with dense traffic.
If you have been injured in such an accident, the best way to seek justice is to hire a skilled pedestrian accident attorney.
What causes pedestrian parking lot accidents?
Both drivers and pedestrians feel more relaxed when they are at parking lots, not paying too much attention, nor expecting that they would end up in an accident.
These are the reasons why drivers cause such accidents:
- Distracted driving – Drivers tend to talk on their phones, text, seeking for an empty parking space. Distracted driving is the main reason for hitting a pedestrian in busy parking lots.
- Accidentally pushing the wrong pedal – Instead of pushing down the break, the driver pushes down the accelerator. This is one of the main reasons how senior drivers cause parking lot accidents.
- Searching for a parking space – When the driver is dedicatedly looking for an empty parking space, they tend to be less careful and pay almost no attention to pedestrians.
- Not looking before driving in reverse – When parking in reverse, drivers tend to be less careful. This is how small children (entirely not visible even for the most careful drivers) get hit.
- Poor lighting – Some parking lots have poor lighting, which makes it even harder for drivers to see the pedestrian.
Pedestrians can also contribute to these accidents:
- They don’t use crosswalks (especially in busy parking lots).
- Not checking where the driver looks and if he or she sees them.
- Walking while talking on the phone or texting, or talking to the person they are with.
What to do if you were injured in a parking lot accident?
If you were a pedestrian hit by a vehicle in a parking lot, you have many options you could do to get justice on your side. First and foremost, seek medical attention. Make sure you collect evidence such as the driver’s name and vehicle’s plates and their insurance information. Call the police so they can file a report of the accident (it would help you settle the case easier).
Parking lots are public places, so there will also be witnesses and perhaps even camera surveillance. This could also be used as evidence that would help you prove your case.
Pedestrian accidents that happen on parking lots are less likely to cause severe injuries since the vehicles are not speeding. However, this does not mean you should refuse a medical examination. Often, victims of such accidents manifest injuries later.
Don’t wait to get medical help and make sure you stay at the accident, to prevent the driver from leaving the scene.
Injuries you can get if involved in a pedestrian parking lot accident
No matter the fact that vehicles tend to drive slow when driving in a parking lot, the pedestrian could still suffer severe injuries. The fact that the pedestrian is small and not protected puts him or her at a higher risk of severe injuries. Often victims of pedestrian parking lot accidents end up with the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken, fractured, or crushed bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damages
- Internal organ damage
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Parking lot accidents should not be looked upon, even if the victim has no visible injuries and feels well afterward. No matter the injuries, you have the right to seek legal help and file a lawsuit against the liable driver. Pedestrians do not have a “shell” to keep them safe from the hit. Even if the stroke was not harsh (as it could be when a car is speeding), the injury often occurs when the pedestrian hits the ground.
If you have been injured in a parking lot accident, you would need a skilled pedestrian accident attorney. Allow our team to help you get justice on your side and contact us today.
We are here to offer you a free case review and guide you in the process until you get the compensation you deserve.